Saturday, May 30, 2015

Brisbane

Brisbane skyline
I've spent the last two weeks in Brisbane, mainly preparing for my last leg of the Watson year: China. While most of my time has been focused on getting prepared with books and visa and all my travel arrangements, I've enjoyed exploring this Gold Coast city. It's a great city for walking or biking, and I really enjoyed wandering through the street markets in the West End and in Fortitude Valley, riding the free City Hopper ferry on the iconic Brisbane River, and meandering the city's many gardens.

I got to attend a couple poetry events as well: one reading in which I got to perform, and one excellent performance celebrating the centenary of Judith Wright's birthday. She was one of Australia's best poets, and an avid advocate for environmental protection and Aboriginal rights. Certainly a woman to emulate.

I plan to do more exploring of poetry and gardens (and much more) in Suzhou and other parts of China. Because google products are sometimes difficult to access while in China, I may not be able to post on the ol' blog until I return to the States in August. Still, I look forward to telling you all about the coming weeks in the near future!

Sending love,
Carrie
bearded dragon under the Story Bridge

sculpture on Ann St
white ibis in abstract sculpture
Botanical Gardens lily ponds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email me at carolyndecker92@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting and adding your thoughts!